Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Scrub Up

I was trawling through my 'MyEpisodes' account yesterday cos shows are becoming significantly thinner as we near Christmas. To my surprise I saw Scrubs listed.... which officially ended (and I blogged about!) back in May.... What the?

Turns out the producers have had the show return planned for some time and the Ninth season will transition the show from the JD narrated format it was, to more of a regular sitcom setup. JD (Zach Braff) and Elliot (Sarah Chalke) have locked in for 6 episodes as the metamorphosis is made while Turk (Donald Faison) and Dr Cox (John C. McGinley) have closed deals to continue as regulars as long as they don't interfere with their current projects.

Newer characters are set to take the lead such as Lucy (Eliza Coupe, pictured) who was introduced in season 8 and 3 or 4 brand new interns will be built up right from the get go. The story will deviate to more of a medical learning scenario and old cast members will likely cameo as teachers rather than appear as constant regulars.

My opinion so far is, let it go and make a new spin off rather than draining the Scrubs name. However I'll be very happy if I'm wrong cos Scrubs was one of those shows I really enjoyed watching. Simple, light hearted fun.

Season 9 starts today so stay tuned for the review!

P.S. If you didn't know, Top Gear S14 has started so get on it - car bonnet.
.

1 comment:

Simon said...

I too think Scrubs is pretty fantastic. I have a copy of every series that's been released on DVD so far. From what you've said about this new direction, it sounds horrible. I know a lot of people find the JD narration a bit annoying, but to mess with a working formula seems wrong. There are episodes that make me laugh out loud, some that make me well up with tears, and some that just make me feel good. A great, great show. You should give House MD a go (the one with Hugh Lawrie). It's not as comic as Scrubs, but there are some good one liners from House.