Friday, February 27, 2009

Thanks For Nothing

Ill start off this post with a small leading statement: I'm not a rude wanker! But why oh Why does society feel the need to thank bus drivers whenever we get off at a bus stop.

Forgive my stereotypical view here but lets consider the variables. These people drive up to a depot/train station/whatever leave whenever they like, leaving people pounding on the door for them to stop and let them on, drive in the most erratic fashion possible either stupidly fast or painfully slow, listen for your 'ding and pull over in the general area of a fluorescent stick in the ground. While I appreciate that sometimes it may be difficult to manoeuvre the fat B.O. Box, its most certainly not rocket science.

Yesterday on my usual journey home from the daily grind, I was pleasantly surprised that the bus was on time, arriving after only a couple of minutes wait.

For those that don't know, the buses in Perth are timed to the trains which generally run like clockwork. My bus is timed with the train after mine so I usually get on and have to sit for 5 mins until the next train load of peeps arrive and get on. Sounds simple enough? No way.

The bus driver decides to leave AS the second train is arriving, causing people to madly dash through the turnstiles, trip fall, get up, slap, kick, sweat and beg at the door to get let inside the bus that should be waiting in open arms. After opening the doors in frustration(!) and letting the people on, he then decides to close the doors and plant his foot on the accelerator like Lewis Hamilton, WHILE everyone is still standing finding their seat, to make a traffic light. By complete luck nobody fell and we were underway.

He then proceeds to 'Lewis' the pedals, both go and stop, slamming into roundabout kerbs at any opportunity until everyone on the bus is ready to gurge their lunch on the rubber floor. After a few minutes, someone 'dings and he pulls into the bay. The person gets off the bus at the driver end (perth people STILL don't get that you exit at the rear) and I'm amazed to notice that he is just staring at the person as they walk away, shaking his head. At the next stop AND the next stop, the same thing happens and it occurs to me that this guy wants a 'thanks', 'cheers' or 'ooroo' like other drivers get for opening the doors. You've got to be kidding!

I do understand that this gentleman isn't the norm however what is so special about this profession that they can insist thanks? I help people everyday (like many of you) and get bugger all............cos its my job! Is it something to do with face to face help? Do people think they need to close off the driver/passenger relationship when they disembark much like if a friend does you a favour and drops you off somewhere?

Tell me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i get thanked at the end of most of my lessons,but I don't expect it. In my industry i should as its personal, its not like you get the same bus driver every time so you can't give a "cheers Nigel!" to him or her.

Anonymous said...

Nothing annoys me more than my SCHEDULED bus leaving the station BEFORE my SCHEDULED train has arrived.

The next 20 minutes standing at the station is spent silently fuming at the damn bus drivers.

I do give a thanks when using the free bus up and down St Georges Tce for lunch though.

Phil Dawson said...

Agreed, I used to thank the free drivers on St Georges cos I felt sorry for them!

It takes them 30 mins to get from Thornlie to Vic Park and 20 to get to Esplanade from there.

. .
o

noni said...

I thank most people in the service industry that give me an answer other than "I don't know" and a blank stare when I ask a question they should know the answer to. Which means very rarely.

Usually the crankier people are, the nicer I am to them. From my experience, it is invariable a customer that has put them in the foul mood and a pleasant one that takes them out of it.