Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hot Dog, We Have A Wiener

So I've finally bit the gambling bullet and opened a SportsBet account for the occaisional tipple.

We had a golf afternoon @ work last week and our winning prize (like there was a contest) was 4 premier tickets to the Fremantle v Collingwood game which included dinner, drinks and VIP seating - oh yeah! Due to the hype of 1v2 on the ladder and the fact that the whole evening was free, I decided to drop some cash on it with Sportsbet to make it that bit more exciting.

After opening the account I was amazed to see the level of detail you can go to and the hundreds of specific aspects of the game you can bet on. You name it, you can lose money on it! From which team will be leading at each quarter break (with every outcome shown with odds) to the specific player that scores the first goal.

The game was fairly iffy and the odds for win/lose were pretty poor so I went for 'First Score of the Match' and 'Total Score'. Both were thought out at length and based on the same assumption - that Freo would be their usual self and be getting down, dirty and in Collingwoods face at any opportuntity. At the bounce I thought Freo would go nuts and hammer the ball near the goal -> scoring a point - Bet 1 - First Score - Fremantle Point. As it was 1v2 and both teams really wanted the win, I expected it to be relatively low scoring overall - Bet 2 - Total Score - less than 195.

I lost both bets!

Ironically, when you join SportsBet and place a bet, your given $10 to use however you like. I put no thought into it at all and put it on the Adelaide v North game, betting that Adelaide would score first.

Winner!

Moral of the Story: Don't think too hard when betting cos its all friggin luck anyway! Of course, I'll be letting the winnings ride on this weeks round so we'll see how we go, hehe.

Update: This weeks cash is on the Dogs beating North by 20-39 points and/or Geelong in front of Collingwood at the half time break by 1-12 points.

Update 24/5: Dogs hammered North so i missed out there but Geelong were my favourite team this week, dishing me out $30 smackers.
.

No comments: