Wednesday, May 19, 2010

DIY Frenzy Continues

Thought it was about time for a DIY update as its still been all go in the Dawson residence.

Since Cameron turned up things have certainly slowed but thankfully I'm still finding time to plod along with house-work as opposed to evil housework of course.

Pergola
The pergola out the back was looking VERY sorry for itself so we've done an overhaul by stripping it all back to a bare skeleton, licking it with paint and dropping some new colorbond sheets on top. I had a great 3 day plan thought out and as with all great plans, they can be flipped at the drop of a hat.... Day 1: Strip - Day 2: Paint - Day 3: New Roof

The stripping happened and the painting happened but that's it! We started to notice the structural integrity was a little worse than first anticipated. I'm guessing it was assembled when the house was built because the fashion in the early 80s was to drop the wooden supports straight into the ground with no further support. Wood + dirt + 30 years = woodrot + termites = pergola bye-bye. Each support had to be cut, stirrupped and cemented in before we proceeded any further - DOH#1

Many nights, a birth and a weekend later it was all assembled and looks quite good (if I do say so myself!) but due to the extra footing work, I need to re-pave the end and the colorbond didn't quite provide full waterproofing so that needs a little work too. All going gradually to plan so, getting there!

Random Garden
As pictured, the rear yard has a garden floating the middle of the lawn..........why you ask? No idea - so I ripped that sucker out! 4 large shrubs and an unknown citrus tree have been relocated to more aesthetically pleasing areas of the property. While this might not seem urgent - remember that the lawn has to be established in that area before TAF11!

Looking forward to nearmap.com taking a new picture so I can see what all the above looks like :P

Electrical
While attempting to put the dryer on the wall I drilled into an electrical line in the laundry wall - DOH#2. Still alive and have all my hair which is good but now we need a sparky to fix it. In my wisdom (well what was left after being bolted) I've waited a few weeks and now I have a string of electrical work that needs doing to save cash overall.

Mostly general stuff like ceiling light moving, lights installing. new power points inserted and I can get him to move the A/C condenser that's in the bloody way out the back. YAY. Definitely not looking forward to the bill but at least we know its done properly, safely and it will work afterward!

That'll do for now, more life updates to follow when I get 2 shakes

Phil
.

No comments: