Monday, January 11, 2010

Tattooed everything...


I went to my kids daycare Christmas party and made an interesting observation, the majority of man and a significant number of women had visible tattoos. Now I'm not suggesting this is a good or bad thing just a thing.

So I came to the basic conclusion that I live in a middle/low income area and there is probably a correlation between the two but I don't understand why that is.
Wiki says
Insofar as this cultural or subcultural use of tattoos predates the widespread popularity of tattoos in the general population, tattoos are still associated with criminality. Although the general acceptance of tattoos is on the rise in Western society, they still carry a heavy stigma among certain social groups.

So whats the pay-off? what inspires the ever increasing number of people getting tattoos to do it? I mean how many people would get a hair cut that they could never change for the rest of their life or wear the same shirt everyday?

From my ignorant perspective I see tattoos as advertising, whatever it is that you are choosing to say. Now what does it all mean to everyone? Does a tat remind the person of this that or the other or is it tell everyone else this that or the other?

Here are someones guess at the top 50 tats clickity click

so the answer lies basically in a couple of catagories
1. i wear this proudly because i belong to or am a fan of....
- religion : crosses, symbols, swastikas etc
- gang : clan symbols, markings etc
- band/artist : band names/logos
- sports team : logos, player names, team colours
- product : motorcycle brand, musical instrument brand
2. I gain strength or belief from
- religion
- tribal symbols/art
- animal attributes
3. I want to alter my body image toward
- strength
- power
- beauty
4. I want to honour those I love
- family members
- deceased

I have never really thought about getting a tattoo, I am a giant scaredy cat #1, I don't see the point #2 and I'm so weedy it probably wouldn't look good anyway. However I would almost guarantee that if one of my children died at a young age I would get a tattoo to have that permanent reminder (not that anyone would forget). For some reason this makes sense to me.

So i guess my question is... does your opinion of somebody change if they have visible tattoos? do you have a negative instinct? do you have more respect for them? do you admire them? do you run away from them? and for our readers who do have tatts, how long did it take you to choose a permanent body image?

3 comments:

Phil Dawson said...

I've thought alot about getting a tatt but have always been scared off by the fact that my taste changes every day!

How F'n cool is that spider!

http://mag.rankmytattoos.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/spider.jpg

As far as my opinion about people with tatts go, i sit in the 'meh' category. I consider tattoos to be done for a personal reason so if they wanted it/them then thats coolio with me :P

Unknown said...

Yeah that spider one really stood out to me as well.

Part of the reason I got one was to just go through the experience of getting the tattoo. It is an interesting sensation and some get addicted to it.

If you think to much about what you would get tattoed onto your body you will never get it done. Since I never see mine, I never regret it haha.

noni said...

I think you should get my name tattooed on you, marriage and two children just isn't enough commitment for me anymore :P

Also I just decided I want a four leaf clover (without "lucky" written on it) tattoo on my foot . Or somewhere equally easy to cover when I am old and wrinkly.