Monday, January 11, 2010

Open Your Ears Wk 2


welcome to my new segment on squidy, I have been rather slacko with my postings so I am gonna force myself to make a guaranteed weekly contribution

basically I want to introduce everyone to a band or artist that most people don't know so that there is opportunity to expand your musical horizons. I will add a new blurb each monday and by the end of the year you will have 50 new listening experiences*

I missed last week so we start today!

OWL CITY - Fireflies

ok so I am playing nice and safe for this week, an ease into something new... Owl City is the artistic name of Adam Young from somewhere in the USA. No doubt you would have actually come across this song on the radio as its starting to get the flog-o-matic.

He describes himself as "Dream Pop" but I have heard him described as "Electro-pop" and "a rip off of 'The Postal Service'!" basically its sickly sweet keyboard based pop music for all your girly teenage dreams. Unfortunately for all of us who aren't teenage girls he will probably have to be a guilty pleasure behind closed doors.

This song is great, catchy as hell and even better it translates beautifully to acoustic guitar (so I can enjoy it on another level). I have been singing it in my head and playing it on guitar for the last week or so, even considered doing a recorded version. I'll see if I have the time....

OWL CITY MYSPAZ : www.myspace.com/owlcity
FIREFLIES YOUTUBE VID
A GREAT ACOUSTIC COVER

and if you like Owl City.. check out
THE POSTAL SERVICE : www.myspace.com/thepostalservice

No comments: