Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Mistakenly Neutered Thirtysomethings

I'm proud to admit I was all about Turtle-power in the late 80s and this year marks the 25th anniversary.

How do I know this? No, I'm not THAT much of a turtle-maniac - I was strolling through the toy aisle wasting time while Kylie looked at clothes and I was very shocked to see TMNT figurines for sale once again. I've seen with every new movie, they change the packaging and re-release the same stuff to the next wave of wannabe ninjas so I just assumed there must be a new movie coming out........nup, not this time.

The look and feel of the packaging is permanently embedded in my brain so I quickly noticed that they are the same as the original figures released in the 80s. The Figure, Weapons, Accessories, Cardboard and even all the pictures on the back of the packet are identical. Apart from a little 25th Anniv. sticker they ARE the original ones.

I have a few mint 80s cartoon figurines in original packaging scattered around my house (no not Turtles!) so this made me think - "What if someone had a mint collection of TMNT figures from the 80s hoping they were worth cash 25 year later?". I can give you their answer too, they'd be completely pissed off! Usually manufacturers change something on the figure or re-date the packets but not so this time. Anyone can just walk into Target with $15 and get one - bend over collectors and take that one up the Splinter.

As with all of my toys from childhood, I've still got them......... somewhere. I remember that I had almost the whole set including the blimp, sidecar and skateboard. I think i just need Shredder, Splinter and April to complete it so maybe I'll keep an eye out on the shelves for the final few and finally complete the collection : P. Lucky for me tho, I ripped those packets apart like they were yesterdays trash!

I'll try and recap on the figures I do have to spark some reminisce juice in all of you: Leonardo, Donotello, Michaelangelo, Raphael, Krang, Bebop, Rocksteady, Foot Soldier, Leatherhead, Casey Jones, Usagi Yojimbo and Rat King..... ah the memories.
.

No comments: