Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Speaking Is Overrated


So today I have to do a 30min presentation to all of *insert my company name here*, who our department is and what we do .........................No, I don't know why.

After being told "It should only take you an hour" to prepare a PowerPoint thing and get the narration ready, I'm 2 days into it and today's the day. I'll go under the knife in 1 hour as the daggers of 100s of people (possible exaggeration) stare at me, wondering why I get paid at all.

For what? So people who don't want to do work can come along, nod off for 30 mins and tell their boss they were 'learning'. Pfft, in the meantime I've been googling stupid pictures for the slide show and anyone who walks past ALSO thinks "why are we paying him!"

Anyone who walks past, gets the doormat response today.

2 comments:

Simon said...

I feel for you mate. At my dad's wake the other day (although not the same) I had to thank everyone for coming. That was about 100 people or so. The bar-person rang the bell to get everyone's attention, and then when I said "Ladies & Gentleman..." all heads & eyes turned to me. Given the subject and the emotions involved it was a horrible experience, but speaking in public full stop is horrid.
Remember three key points:
1. Smile. I know, I know, I'm not a smiler either, but smiling breeds confidence.
2. Make eye contact with people as you speak, don't stare at the back wall and don't concentrate on one person else you'll be labeled a stalker as well as a lazy Junior
3. Speak slower than normal. At times like this your speech will speed up, so make a concentrated effort to slow yourself down.
Good luck!

Adam said...

Oh dear, what a shocker of a day.