Monday, October 5, 2009

Who's Among Us?


After 3 days featuring on the squidring.com homepage, I've already nuked the poll sidebar. It was just annoying, ugly, boring and terribly mainstream for my liking.

I'm still trying to come up with a decent replacement but on the left I've added a couple of funky little tools I found online.

Apart from the Hit Counter, there is a little black and red box with a number in it. That is the number of people that are reading the blog at that exact time, including yourself. I'm completely expecting it to always be '1' but I deemed it worthy enough to put there. As I write this, it says '3' so WooHoo - maybe I was wrong! If you click the button it also shows you where in the world the people are, so I can see that the current 3 readers are in Perth and picking their noses.... well not quite.

I've also re-added the search box because a few of you said it was hard to find old articles. A nifty feature of this one is, when you type something in and click the button, the results are embedded on the page above the first article. But that's not all - the search results also contain 3 Tabs so for example if you search for 'Camera', you can display results from squidring.com, the sites in the 'Blogs We Check' listing and even good-ole Google.

Ciao Brown Cows

P.S. I've made progress on the arcade cab so stay tuned for a pic in the next couple of days.
P.P.S. Top marks for anyone who can name the character in the picture.......
.

5 comments:

Simon said...

When I was on there, the box said 68!
Not really. I couldn't stand to put that on mine.. I'd be obsessively watching it and refreshing the screen to see how many people were reading it.
I have no idea who the cartoon character is, it's probably some weird Australian thing that no one else has ever heard of...

Simon said...

ALSO - When I checked to see where I was, it said I was in Glenview, U.S! That's because (I assume) that's where out company is registered to or something. Anyway, inaccurate info! I'm actually in Manchester right now.

Phil Dawson said...

Its based on IP so yeah whatever the head office address is i'd say

Adam said...

GRUG !!!!1one

Phil Dawson said...

ah YES, who could forget. you were right Simon its a bloody australian character with book classics like Grug and the Green Paint, Grug goes Shopping and the edge of your seat thriller Grug Learns to Swim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grug

Adam gets the kudos this time....take a bow good sir