Thursday, October 15, 2009

Boom! Shake The Room!

Started the first round of painting yesterday and everything I did came up quite nicely. So far I have only done the metal pieces that hold the glass and speaker grill in place but it IS a start.

Totally on the fence regarding the green side panels. The laminate has been on there for donkeys years and isn't faded, and is very clean but - its bloody green! The good folk at Bunnings said it IS possible to paint but if they're wrong, its my loss not theirs. There's no coming back from the blotchy, uneven, ugliness that is a bad paint job.

There is also the side note that if I decide to put artwork on the sides at all later on, it will be much easier to stick it to laminate instead of gloss ON laminate.

Anyway while I mull that over, I've also moved on to the sound system in this puppy. It previously had 2 x 10w 8" speakers running straight off the board but I'm thinking of something with a little more 'ooomph'. It doesn't have to be that loud cos your head will be about 50 cm from the speakers at all times but it has to throw out the beats if I decide to use it as a jukebox too.

As of this moment I've sourced 2 x 50w 8" cones with 2 x 2" tweeters running off a crossover from an old home speaker setup. They can be fitted with only small modifications but the trick is going to be how to power them. A standard PC doesn't come close to the output watts required so I need to fit a basic amp inside the cabinet too. As luck would have it, I do have an old one but its very cumbersome so with technology these days they will have made one with the same performance that you need a microscope to see!

Time to go shopping! WooHoo!
.

2 comments:

Simon said...

Could you not spray paint & then clear lacquer for the graphics?

Phil Dawson said...

im worried that nothing will stick to the laminate. no clue how i will put the artwork on the machine - it goes over my head!