Wednesday, July 1, 2009

You Run Ells

Today my mind is definitely in the toilet. An odd topic I know but I wanted to see if male squidring.com readers (all 2 of you) feel my pain. What I'm talking about is the dreaded splashback!

I'm referring to the uncommon occurrence but constant threat of your body waste coming in contact with your body as a result of poor urinal design... or poor aim! I'm not talking about the metal urinals that go to the ground, they're all good, I mean the white ones that hang on the wall.

As a 29yo male I've used my fair share of urinals around the traps and one thing Ive noticed is that 90% of them have the ceramic part directly perpendicular to your peeing trajectory angle. They are even domed so that no matter where you try and aim its always, for want of a better expression, 'touch and go'. The only part that isn't aimed at you contains the drain so who knows what will happen if you aim for that!

Why is this so? When you head into the great outdoors and you can pii absolutely anywhere, where do you go? Behind a tree, on the ground, in a bush etc etc. Call me weird but I'm yet to walk up to a tree, stand 25cm away from it and open fire straight onto it! Where do people get these designs?

Yes, most urinals have their sweet spot... their quiet, no splashback zone but why is it so small? Surely in today's age we could manufacture a urinal that has a large part angled almost parallel to the P.P so that it can smoothly transition from the air to the drain. No chance of incident - Happy Days.

It needs to allow for men who are smaller and those who are bigger ....... cmon you know what I mean! I'm thinking some sort of non symmetrical 'r' shape when looking from the top. So on your left you have a flat wall that curves around and down to the drain. It give you a little more privacy, allows for different heights and can be cleaned normally with the flush squirter mounted in the top left corner next to your arm, shooting backwards. That's my idea... happy to hear yours if you have any cos there has to be a better way!

Hope I filled in a small chunk of your day and at the very least I'm sure I've given you something to think about when you're next in the gents.

Happy Emptying.

P.S. I defy anyone to read this a couple of times and not suddenly feel the urge to go to the lav! Waterfalls, babbling brooks, trickling rain, pee pee PEE

1 comment:

Simon said...

Yes, I agree, splash-back can be a problem. The ladies have no idea of the stress we go through! I was talking to a female friend a while ago, and somehow we got onto the subject of toilets and she didn't know about the 'trough' arrangement in some conveniences. "You mean, you just all stand next to each other with it out and stuff?" she asked, shocked. And in a packed pub / concert venue / football ground (all places I've experienced this) some people seem to delight in trying to avoid splash-back by angling the flow slightly away from them - and what happens if the toilet is too packed? Yes, unwanted male juice on your strides. Men are a gross species, n'est pas?