Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Fully Sic

Car - Tick
Central Locking - Not Ticked
Insane Stereo - Not Ticked

A major downside of the new vehicle is that it still has a factory stereo and no central locking fitted, boooooooo. It has the potential to be a powerhouse of music so why not capitalise. It has moulded speaker mounts in all doors and last night I took to them with a Phillips head to find out what I'm dealing with.

I'd turned up the stereo and it was dismal so I thought the easiest way to upgrade would be to see what speakers are installed and get better ones the same size so they would slot in and with the existing wires already running back to the deck it should be a piece of cake.

Took the 2 door skins off the passenger side and to my complete amazement, there are no speakers at all! 2 things immediately sprang to mind, 1. That's Bad, and 2. Where the hell is the sound coming from? After a bizillion more screws and the loss of a fair amount of hair I discovered the answer. There are 2 x 4 inch speakers mounted inside the dash below the air vents - no WONDER it sounded like a rusted ole battery powered AM radio!

Final result? The installation of the gear now requires me to drill holes for the speaker and central locking wires to run from the car to the doors. Therefore it quickly changed from a DIY jobby to a drive the car to a professional and have it all done properly jobby!

Got a few decent quotes today and a few indecent ones but I've settled on buying the gear online and taking it all to the shop for a professional fitting. Its all been ordered so by the weekend I should have remote central locking and a thumping ride which I'm very excited about.

Stay tuned.....literally

No comments: