Thursday, December 30, 2010

Hottest 100 Voting for 2010


voting is now open at triplej.abc.net.au

over the year I have run a 'weekly' segment about new music and less then well known music and it should be no surprise that he bulk of my votes for this year have all been featured on this site. So if you want to check out the tracks then look on here or just punch it in on YT i guess

Bag Raiders - Way Back Home : i really like the build in this song, simple keyboards and vocal lines into a mid tempo beat and then into the sing a long chorus, nice work from this up and coming Aussie outfit 
Birds Of Tokyo - Plans : this song got a little bit killed by the flogomatic commercial stations. This album was possibly the best album i got this year and this is the best song off it 
Cee Lo Green - Fuck You! : this was the best song of 2010, a track which is so pop but so bitter and enjoyable. Its watered down version "forget you" is getting around on all commercial stations including Mix, i think if you can cover total alternative radio all the way to non-offensive adult contemporary then you have done something really good. Not my favourite song but the best one 
Chiddy Bang - Opposite Of Adults : This song has a great sample from MGMT's massive hits kids, but so well used you can't really tell what its from. Very different from a lot of songs that i like, number one its pretty much a rap song, number two it starts with the chorus, i tend to favour songs that build to a crescendo. Its pretty special. 
Gyroscope - What Do I Know About Pain? : I love these guys and they released an absolute cracker of an album this year, this song was a hidden gem. After releasing about three singles from the album which stole the limelight this track was a staple at concerts and it was only after multiple listens that I cottoned on. Was eventually realeased as a single late in the year which may bode well for hottest 100 
Mark Ronson & The Business Intl - Somebody To Love Me {Ft. Boy George &  Andrew Wyatt} : this track was just a bolt from the blue, Ronson released a great album this year and after two good singles he let this cat out of the bag and it blew me away. Just perfectly balanced in its layers 
Papa Vs Pretty - Heavy Harm : This is my favourite song of the year, its probably the biggest surprise package. Some really interesting guitar work opens the track and really got my attention. then the main riff just drives the track along. I hope they have a future as this song is really strong, unfortunately the other tracks I have heard havent been anywhere as interesting so fingers crossed for them, they really nailed this one 
Sparkadia - Talking Like I'm Falling Down Stairs : This artist had some nice tracks previously but has been quiet for a while, this song is really nice, it has a great hook in the chorus with the keys that is very familiar but I can't put my finger on it 
Two Door Cinema Club - Undercover Martyn : this song is really interesting in the fact that its a little bit dancey in it's studio version but i also heard it as an acoustic number and its just as good, slightly different and yet the song holds up. Thats always a sign of a really strong song. 
Dan Black - U + Me = : this almost escaped me and I am so glad that it didnt. i actually went back thru my Open Your Ears list before i submitted my votes and was reminded of this track. Once again its a track which isn't typically my scene but the sum of parts is awesome, layers of interesting features that come together to form one great track. Like Papa vs Pretty I hope this guy can back up such a strong release

this was probably one of the hardest years for voting in the last five years. Looking forward to 2011. What are your votes for best songs of 2010?

1 comment:

Adam said...

here are some odds:
http://old.sportingbet.com.au/uipub/sport.aspx?l1id=26&l2id=1944197