Thursday, September 16, 2010

Imitation is the best form of flattery?¿?


Ok so its no secret I am a huge Triple J fan, now I am also bright enough to know this does not go for the majority of the population and I'm happy with that. I don't think less of people because they prefer pop, r'n b, best of the 70's 80's and 90's or whatever, I just prefer not to listen to it myself.

Now I might be dragging my heals and refusing to believe I am not a teenager anymore and youth alternative radio is soooo my kinda scene. Its seems now however that I now have another option, NOVA...

It seems the newest kid on the block who has never really found a niche market and have seemingly tampered with their stylings since inception (anyone remember when they started and they played old school grunge like Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Stone Temple Pilots ), are now becoming a "best of" Triple J station. It's almost like someone at Nova has a job to listen to Triple J and pick the best songs to transfer across.

This tears me apart a little as I don't know whether I like this or not, here lies my internal dilemma...some points about my fave station
A) Triple J has been the intial stepping stone for a crapload of artists in Australia, Silverchair, Grinspoon, Killing Heidi (now "The Verses")are some of the bands who were launched by Triple J find a band comps. Powderfinger's first songs were played only by the js, we could go on but the point has been made.
B) With an emphasis on new music you get a variety of results on Triple J, you kinda wade thru the crap to find the gold, also being a wide genre like "alternative" you get a huge variety of styles, hip hop, punk, metal, indie, folk/blues and apparently nearly 45% australian content which is way above the legal requirement which is around 20 i think.
C) NO ads ;)
D) Free range on swearing in songs

anyway so back on track here, Nova is now seemingly mimicing the high rotation tracks on the j's and launching it as "you heard it first on Nova". This is really good for the exposure of these artists who will become so much more economically viable by getting into the general population. This is good for the artists who make the music that I enjoy so it can't be a bad thing.

I stayed up watching Channel V top 10 last night and I couldn't believe the songs, let me list the ones I know are j-born

Plans - Birds of Tokyo
Sunday Best - Washington
Rock It - Little Red
My Eagle - Children Collide
F U - Cee Lo Greene
Big Jet Plane - Angus & Julia Stone
Revolution - John Butler Trio

I mean don't get me wrong, I was loving this mix and it was followed by some new Mark Ronson, kanye, arcade fire and more. A few of these songs were in my line up for Open Your Ears future episodes but if they are getting to public radio/tv first then my segment becomes a little nulified! argh

So is alternative "in"?
Are Nova trying to convert outside people to this music or triple j listeners to Nova?
does it even matter? more airtime for alternative music has to be a good thing

PS. this isnt a new thing, just felt like writing about it since i saw channel V last night, check out this blog page from last year

2 comments:

Adam said...

Radio?

what is this i dont even

Phil Dawson said...

How can you write Killing Heidi alongside Grinspoon. Your fingers must be bleeding!