Tuesday, July 6, 2010

You're So Dreamy

Alot of the childbirth process is an absolutely amazing feat of nature and despite all that has changed in the world, its amazing to continually see glimpses of natural human instinct shine through against all theoretical odds.

When we were brand new parents we read alot about "Breast Crawling". No, its not the street speak for twenty-somethings moving from pub to pub chasing women, it's a newborn phenomenon whereby you place a fresh bub on the mothers stomach and watch it instinctively crawl up to breast feed.

The baby can barely move by itself, eyes mostly closed and even though its only minutes old, it just crawls up. Its really interesting so check out the net and YouTube as they are full of videos on it or I'll sic Kirri onto you as she is an avid practicer and preacher. :)

More recently however, and the reason for this posting, are my learning's on Dreamfeeding. There are a number of books and info on Dreamfeeding but I never REALLY knew what it was all about. So, what is it?

Well, kids go to bed anytime between 7 and 9pm and wake for feeds during the night. As they get older they wake less and less until they eventually sleep through till morning - no real shockers there. Dreamfeeding is an additional, non-demand feed @ around 10.30-11.30pm which helps them to sleep longer into the morning. The odd part is that it's given while the baby is asleep. Yes, asleep.

So, last night we tried it.

At 10.50 I walked boldly into his room, bottle in hand, picked him up confidently, sat down, pointed the bottle at his face and thought "ok, what now?". The bottle is dribbling all over his face and he isnt drinking cos - yep, he's asleep. After 2-3 mins of growing a confused look on my face, I flashed back to my readings - rest it on his bottom lip!....................... which did nothing. Hmm, perhaps this wasn't the best idea.

After a few minutes more I managed to move enough to bring him from deep to a more shallow sleep. This was the key. His mouth kinda opened and was immediately stuffed with a teet! "ok, what now?" Well, what nothing - to my shock he just started drinking away.

Now the next challenge. Cam normally burps 4 times in 1 feed and after reading up on Dreamfeeding I knew that he might only need 1 or 2 as they are far more relaxed. So, how do you burp a baby without waking it? Answer - No idea! I cut him off after 50mLs and tried slowly elevating his head, nothing. Side elevation, nothing. Up, down, left, upsidedown, rubbing, patting, nothing! Then, thinking maybe he doesn't need burping, I continued to feed him the rest of the bottle. At the end I KNEW he would need a burp so I repeated all the above with the same results. "ok, what now?". I stood up and gently put him over my shoulder, hoping for action but secretly expecting to get covered in vomit. Without moving him much at all, after a minute or so, he did a long quiet belch and stayed asleep. Result!

I gently got him back into his cot and I was done............ or so I thought. While adjusting the blankets it happened - the vomit eruption! Turns out it wasn't too much so it was ok. Phew. We went to bed and he woke at 3am like normal anyway! :P

Overall I'd say it went well and tonight ill just be throwing him over my shoulder 1/2 way through and at the end until he burps. If he wakes up then so be it but I reckon once I get the knack, it should be smoother sailing. Also might keep him vertical for 5 mins or so afterward to get the digestion flowing before plonking him horizontal.

Anyway, that's my life - whaddya think? - haha

Cya Bee Eaters
.

UPDATE 7/7: Last night was far smoother. He went to bed late and I heard him stirring around midnight so as I was already awake I thought I'd dive in and dreamfeed him instead of waiting for the scream. He burped twice, woke up for about 5 secs then went off again, literally snoring in my arms. Took me about 25-30 mins for the feed and he slept through till 5 so a little better than the night before. Will see how we go tonight!
.

No comments: