Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Creativity Vs Money

I love creative and left field ideas but especially those that are simply things no one has thought of before.

Everyday we are faced with the latest gadget or device developed from continual advancements in technology but its great to see that, even now, the human brain can dazzle us with a great concept. The most obvious outlets are movies and advertising but they're just as important on a smaller scale - like this!

What am I on about? Well take the Transformers movies..... huge $$$ spent, spectacular special effects, blahdi blah. Yes, they're great movies but the idea was paved in the 80s when the show was created. Where did that idea come from? Comics. Some random nerd in the early 80s had the creativity to imagine the basic concept and plot line. He's the guy you wanna have a beer with!

And then we have a movie such as 'The Butterfly Effect'. A completely new idea conceived and written buy a couple of blokes. If you haven't seen it I wont give anything away but for me it was one of those films that I'll remember as a headf$%k! A complete brain twist in 90 mins. If you were to grab someone just as they finished watching it and asked what they thought - you'd probably get silence or a comprehensive "It was good" in return. The idea was so good that comparitively, the movie cost was low. No special effects, no big name actors and yet 6 years later its still tops in my view.

And with Advertising, I'm still left smiling when I read a terrific marketing line or catch phrase. Just the other night I said to the Mrs how much I liked the new KMart line, "Expect Change". I know - party time in the Dawson residence!!!! But seriously the people @ KMart must have been partying for a month solid with a line like that! 2 words that say it all. Just like when that last range of Sony Ads came out with the bouncy balls and paint can explosions - no special effects, just pure imaginative gold.

Go Humans!

No comments: