Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Open Your Ears Wk 17


Matthew Good (Band)

it was inevitable, I delayed as long as I could muster. For those who know me too well then you will know I am the Matthew Good punisher. I have becomed somewhat obsessed with his music, unfortunately for me, probably most fortunate for everyone else, I have not been able to find any hard copies of his albums in JB or any other store.

He has taken the mantle of my second favourite artist, but most alarming he is far and away the musician I have listened to the most in the last 18 months. What's so Good about him? (pun intended) well to be honest nothing stands out about him or his music, not a epic singer or supertalented guitarist. What he is, is a songwriter, heartfelt and honest, the music doesnt overwhelm, all the pieces fit.

He is a politically charged but not in your face about it, he is often viewed as arrogant but has done some self loathing marketing such as mass sales of a t-shirt "I hear Matt Good is a Real Asshole"

He has had a history of mental illness and prescription drug abuse but has channelled it into his songwriting

here is an exerpt from wikipedia
"In the aftermath of divorcing his wife, developing an addiction to Ativan and being diagnosed with bipolar disorder, Good channeled the emotional turmoil into his next album, 2007's Hostpital Music. The album was the first self-produced effort of his career and was written during his recovery from overdosing on Ativan and a stay in the psychiatric ward."

www.myspace.com/officialmatthewgood

most recent single "Last Parade"

his mellow side "Metal Airplanes"

his rock side "Load me Up"

his commercial style single "Born Losers"

He isn't well known even in America, being a Canadian and rarely travels outside of North America so I seriously doubt I'll ever see him play live, but one can only hope

finall I'll leave you with his epic cover of Depeche Mode's classic "Enjoy the Silence"

No comments: