Monday, January 18, 2010

Teenage Bitches

For my first of many rants in the 'teens' I'd like to rekindle 2 old but far from resolved things that continue to F&*k me off, every single day!

Pedestrians
For those that don't know, Perth is in the dark ages regarding pedestrian movement around the CBD. It was setup and widely plugged as a 'Pedestrian Friendly' city but in reality what that means is traffic is brought to a complete standstill just cos some deuche wants to cross the road.

In all other cities I've been to I have never seen all traffic from all directions stop so that people can walk. Even on the less populated intersections, if the green man (going the same direction as the traffic) is on, the cars turning left have a red. Give the car a green AND the pedestrian a green like the rest of the world - any cars heading left just have to wait for the people before turning. This brings me to my bitch:

Pedestrians that press the button at a traffic light but then walk cos there aren't any cars coming. OK, Just Stop It!!!!! If your one inclined to jay-walk, look first then hit the button if there's no safe way to cross. I have no issue with people that hit the button then wait even if there's nothing coming, all I ask is that IF you hit the button - tough - your waiting. Its so frustrating to be driving along, only to be stopped by an invisible pedestrian, oh wait - there they are......100m up the F*&king road!!!!!

Bus Commuters
I can't comment on anywhere other than Perth and London here but in short, London buses work and Perth buses don't. In my opinion this is solely to do with bus numbers and frequencies. The government doesn't want to spend money on buses cos no one catches them but no one catches them cos there aren't enough of them! In London, if you want to get on a bus, you walk to the stop and wait - no need to check timetables etc, one will be along within 15 mins at the absolute most. This makes it very very simple and therefore they are widely used.

Here in peak times they run every 20 mins and non peak, every hour. They might as well not run them at all other than peak times cos you cant rely on an hourly bus - plain and simple. My bitch is related to buses but back to bitch #1, again, its the people using them that are stupid:

Its common knowledge that you get ON a bus at the front and get OFF it at the back........ or so you'd think. Perth bus-ers are selectively ignorant to this and on all routes, most (not all) get off via the the front. On the older MTT buses it even says on the 'Bus Stopping' light inside the bus ' Exit Via The Rear Doors'. Sometimes its ok and I admit to using the front myself on occasion but if there are people waiting to get ON the bus at the stop, its a no brainer.... or maybe that's the problem - no brains.

Big shout out to my co-bloggers daughter in hospital for the next week or so. Incase anyone is wondering, Yes, TVs can break legs. Get well soon Meelz!
.

No comments: