Monday, November 2, 2009

Tell me what you want, what you really, really want


My wife has this knack of being involved in various activities and events thru her many networks. One path she has come across is market research, thru whichever avenue it was she falls into the wonderful catagory of every marketers dream: married, young mother, full-time mum, part-time job. So once every set time period she gets invited to take part in a survey or focus group, give her opinion and get a token gift or some cold hard KEYASH!

Well, due to rules of only being allowed to participate once in every X days, a company rings her up and she can't go cause its been too soon since her last one but she handballs them straight to me to do. One phone call and 99 questions later, I'm roped into a focus group on private health insurance

Super boring subject, but a really interesting experience. I really enjoyed doing it, openly criticising marketing ploys and making positive suggestions towards improvements etc. Running my own small business it was good to look at a big business strategy and try to relate to how I do the similar tasks and how I could improve too.

In a group of similar scenario people (youngish families considering private health care) it was interesting to see peoples reactions to various options, both positive and negative. Unfortunately the differences are so common that a generic approach is the only option but it will never make everyone happy! What I liked and gave positive response to was negated by someone else in the room for the exact same reasons! How do you please everyone? you can't! how do you not offend or displease the majority I guess is the solution.

1.5hrs later and $70 richer I am looking forward to doing another one...just have to sit and wait my X number of days out now....
Soundtrack Of The Day:

3 comments:

Phil Dawson said...

interesting, so did you actually have to go in somewhere or was it all over the phone?

might have to get myself a kid and quit my job!

Adam said...

I've done a couple of these a few years back.

One was interesting and the other mind numbing.

The Big Fella said...

had to go in, but they put on some sangas and soft drinks on top of getting paid so pretty good. Fiona said one of hers they had fancy pants food too