Monday, August 31, 2009

Stats Baby, Stats

I've been skimming the AFL site today and while I've looked at the 'Ladder' page before, I can't say I've really used it.

It has the usual columns but just above the table is an interactive button toolbar to show a range of stats that even Eddie would be proud of:

Win/Loss/Draw: Last 5 Games, Home/Away/Interstate and Day/Night
Quarters: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and Total Quarters Won
Attack/Defence: Highest/Lowest Score and Average Win/Loss Margin
Fixture: Last/Next Opponent
List: Number of Players Used

Perhaps its my nature but the first stat I wanted to look up was 4th Quarter wins for Freo. I wasn't expecting a high score but when '4' came up, I had to laugh. Yes, that's the lowest of all 16 teams. However, things get a little more interesting when you show the 1st Quarter wins and compare the two. Freo aren't last, not in the bottom 8.... they aren't even in the bottom 12 - they're 4th. Only beaten by the 2008 Grand Final contenders and the Saints, quite impressive actually. Is it consistency, youth or just plain luck....... time will tell.

So if your interested, jump over to afl.com.au and click around. It'll be a great time-sucker until the NTC AFL results are posted! Boo Yar

P.S. Yes I'm aware that it's a picture of Warren Tredrea of Port not Freo!

No comments: