Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Spoilt For Choice

So the arcade machine is finished and its time to get some enjoyment out of it..........finally!

Without sounding too negative (cos its AWESOME!) the cabinets biggest downfall is also one of its strengths. What am I on about? Well including all the different versions and spin offs, I currently have a catalog of around 7000 games. These range from Asteroids to Mortal Kombat 4, from After Burner to Gauntlet from Double Dragon to Wonder Boy and to be perfectly honest, there are too many to choose from.

Ignoring for a second, the pain-staking effort required to find a game using only the joystick, I think it would be better if I just went on the net, found the top 50 games for a cocktail table and hid the rest. Choices are fewer but instead of spending the night trawling through endless lists I think you would just shrug your shoulders and get back to playing something......anything!

Without further ado, I'm searching now - Please Hold. *insert Greensleeves lift music*

Ok done. Here is a small list which is a good start I think;

Asteroids, Centipede, Donkey Kong, Dragons Lair, Frogger, Mario Bros/Super Mario Bros, Pac-Man/Ms Pac-man/Pac-man Jr, Pole Position, Space Invaders, Tron, Rampage, Tempest, Xevious, Defender, Tetris, Zaxxon, Gauntlet, Diamond Run, Boulderdash, Burgertime, Q*bert, Galaga, 1942, Pong, Pitfall!, Spy Hunter, Lode Runner and Galaxian (thanks Rez!)

I'm just thinking if I focus on around 50 and make them work perfectly etc, it will actually end up being more fun. Sort of a 'Less is More' approach. So what do you guys think?

Any suggestions for the list? There are about 32 games above so if I've missed anything obvious - point it out so it will make the cut.

Ciao readers and sorry about the story drought.....still bouncing back from weddings, cleaning and wall to wall work!

Soundtrack Of The Day: Nothing, iPhone still in for repair : (

4 comments:

The Big Fella said...

you have burgertime! omg i'll be waiting at your house when you get home

Simon said...

I am very jealous. Ba$tard. Now to just switch on my iPhone.... hehe

Shane said...

You need to include ghosts and goblins as it is a classic. Also I would have bubble bobble and rolling thunder which are turn based games. Bomb jack, shinobi, wonderboy, and galaga are also classics. Just put them in your favourites folder and use that. These may not be direct cocktail but being turn based you can flip the screen.

Phil Dawson said...

Ah yes, Bubble Bobble - should have known you'd suggest that!

Currently dont have a favourites folder cos my version of mame doesnt include one. I think ill try and configure MaLa as a frontend.

Simon as for the iPhone, I never knew I needed one until I had it and lost it. Damned gadgets!!!