Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hottest 100 of All Time

Triple J's Hottest 100 of all time, 20 years on from the 1989 edition that saw Joy Division's : Love Will Tear Us Apart as the best song ever. Who will take the crown this year?

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hottest100_alltime/voting/

You have up to 10 songs to vote for so thinking caps ahoy! Here are my votes (no order other then #1)

Pearl Jam - Black : this is just my favourite song ever, its perfection to me, hauntingly beautiful. If in doubt, listen to the live version on "Live at Benaroya Hall" the crowd sing along gives me chills.

Motor Ace - Not So Blue : This band is so under-rated, they wrote some fantastic songs and I dreamed of being in a band that sounds like them. This is my favourite track of theirs.

Matthew Good Band - Weapon : I'm a sucker for epic songs, building from an intricate arpeggio to rocking the distortion. Matt Good is very new to me but im obsessed now. Cheers Taylor

Death Cab for Cutie - I Will Follow You Into The Dark : I'm a late bloomer in getting into DCFC but this is just a beautiful track and the ultimate tribute to a loved one.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Thru The Eyes Of Ruby : A sneaky song, i always skipped it when i first got the album because of it's slow start. It caught me by surprise when i did listen to it. Once again its an epic type song that builds and builds

Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song : From the very first cd i bought, STP are master songsmiths, a great great sing-a-long driving song.

Big Wreck - That Song : One of the first songs that I got into on my own accord, relatively unknown Canadian band, gave me courage to listen to new stuff and not just follow the crowd. Now my friends think i have obscure taste. Never get sick of this song.

Tool - Parabol / Parabola : Heavy Metal was my love as a kid and i couldn't go past TOOL as my favourite heavy band. Amazingly amazing. To no surprise i have chosen one of their building songs,Parabol is sparse and open then...wait til Parabola kicks in ... now go bang your head!

Foo Fighters - Everlong : I wouldn't say I'm a huge FF fan but this song is superb, Dave Grohl is too talented to be just sitting behind the drums.

Incubus - Stellar : I was a late bloomer in the world of Incubus, this is a love song but a rock song, best listened to in a car screaming your lungs out.

Soundtrack Of The Day: Triple J radio, my soundtrack to most days

2 comments:

Anne said...

It's far too hard to choose 10 songs! I don't know how you managed it, I am still waking up in the middle of the night to add things to my shortlist (which has 56 songs on it).

Warren said...

you just gotta go gut feeling do like a bandaid and don't overanalyse the results :D