Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Face Paint

Went paintballing last night for my first time and I have to say, despite the bruises it was nowhere near as painful as I thought it would be!

I've had the opportunity to go in the past but the push has never been that strong to get on board because it was generally people I didn't know that well. This time however I thought "What the funk!" and went along as it was with work colleagues here who I new just slightly so passed in the hall over 10 times a day in silence. Plus the fact that they are all nerds made me think its a good introduction to the paintball world....not sure how I came to that conclusion as a paintballs a paintball and these guys have so much practice from first person shooter games they make Bruce Willis look like Annie.

It was indoor at Xtreme Leisure in Malaga who were very good for the first timers in the group but hopped through the rules and regs quickly for the people who've heard it each time. I was of course listening intently as the nerves started to rise. Every question I had in my mind, they answered, everything I wanted to know about the gun and shooting etc, they said without prompting.

They took us out there, walked us around the arena, let us fire some practice rounds at a bottle on the roof and it was ON! 6 rounds of 'Team Fortress', 3 rounds of 'Generals' 3 rounds of 'Capture The Flag' (which was captured by me in 1 game!) and 'Respawn' to finish off the balls. 2 Solid hours and a whole lotta sweat later, the grin was from ear to ear!

Today the swelling from my bruises have mostly died down apart from one huge corker on my left forehead hairline, just above my temple. It glanced the top of my face mask and exploded on my head like an orange firework. It feels good to walk around the office sporting a visible injury from the event so I'm more proud than embarrassed at this stage! And anyway... Could I really expect MY head to avoid being hit?

1 comment:

Simon said...

I used to play a lot of paintball - I've been a marshal at a site for a long time(so one of the blokes that told you the rules, fixed the guns, and called you out if you'd been hit) and I used to play for a team regularly as well. It IS a complete blast, and I loved every minute. Once you've played this, you can't go and play lazer tag or what ever it is. Not the same. The welts that look like perfect black polo mints are the best. Glad you liked it. You wanna check out some sites for paintball gear - for a tech head like you, you'll love 'em